“I can’t say enough about what an incredible job Mr. Smith did for me. When I was arrested for DUI again, I was afraid of going to jail. I never even thought an acquittal would be possible, and I was surprised and grateful when I was found not guilty of all charges. He was phenomenal in the courtroom.”
K.B. – Hanover, MD
32-year-old construction superintendent arrested and charged with 3rd drunk driving offense. Client entered plea of not guilty and case proceeded to trial. Client found not guilty of all charges. Motor Vehicle Administration also notified client of its intention to suspend client’s driver’s license for 120 days for refusing to take alcohol test. Client requested hearing. After presentation of evidence and legal argument, administrative law judge declined to order any suspension and took no action.
First Time or Repeat Offenders | Drinking and Driving | Field Sobriety and Blood Alcohol Tests | MVA Hearings
When you have been arrested for DUI, you need an experienced attorney to protect your rights. The consequences of a conviction can be severe. In addition to substantial fines, you could face incarceration. Your automobile insurance premiums could skyrocket, and you might even put your employment at risk. You need an experienced and aggressive lawyer at your side who has successfully protected the rights of others in situations just like yours.
Driving Under The Influence
Mr. Smith is a top rated attorney and former prosecutor with more than 30 years of experience in criminal law and drunk driving cases. Before going into private practice, attorney Smith worked as a Maryland prosecutor and learned how the state prepares criminal matters. He has handled 1,000’s of drunk driving cases. We know the strategies and tactics prosecutors will employ to get a guilty plea or conviction, and can help you take the necessary steps to protect your constitutional rights.
Drunk Driving Defense
We have protected the rights of thousands of people in court, and have a proven track record of success. Because of our reputation for thorough preparation and the highest level of personal service, many of our new cases come to us as referrals from other attorneys or from satisfied clients. Mr. Smith fights hard for his clients. That’s why many satisfied clients think so highly of him. Mr. Smith’s results speak for themselves.
Mr. Smith’s extensive trial experience — and track record of successful results — has earned him the recognition of his peers and clients:
- Maryland Super Lawyer (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013)
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland by Super Lawyers (2014)
- “10.0 Superb” as a litigation attorney by AVVO.
- “Client’s Choice Award” by AVVO, based on average client reviews of 5 stars – the highest client review possible.
- Client Distinction Award (Client Review Rating of 4.5 or higher on 5.0 scale – less than 4% of 900,000+ attorneys listed by Martindale-Hubbell).
- Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers of 2015 by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2015).
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers (by invitation only and limited to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state).
- Washington DC and Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers (Legal Leaders Magazine)(2014).
- Top Attorneys in Maryland (American Registry)(2013).
- Top Rated Lawyer by The American Lawyer Magazine and Martindale-Hubbell (2013, 2012).
- “AV-Preeminent™*” Highest Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (28 consecutive years).
These include the highest ratings possible for legal skill, ethical practice, a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
Our Drunk Driving (DUI / DWI) Defense Practice
We handle all matters related to drunk driving charges, from the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) hearing to determine the status of your driving privileges, to the criminal proceeding to establish guilt or innocence and punishment. We work with first-time as well as repeat offenders.
Highly Respected DUI DWI Defense Lawyer
When you hire us to defend you against a charge of drinking and driving, we will conduct a thorough examination of the facts and circumstances of your arrest, starting with a determination of whether there was probable cause to make the traffic stop. We will also review the evidence to confirm that you were properly notified of your rights when taken into custody. We will examine police reports and question witnesses to verify that field sobriety and blood alcohol or breath tests were correctly administered. If errors were made, or your constitutional rights were violated, we will seek the exclusion of evidence and/or the dismissal of charges.
We aggressively represent people charged with:
- DUI, or driving under the influence of alcohol
- DUI Per Se, or driving under the influence of alcohol per se
- DWI, or driving while impaired by alcohol
- Operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs
- Driving while under the influence of a controlled dangerous substance (CDS)
Contact Our Office
To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at 410-740-0101. Put the skill and experience of a former prosecutor to work for you. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
Attorney Jonathan Scott Smith represents clients in criminal defense matters, DUI / DWI, MVA Hearings, traffic offenses, domestic violence and child abuse charges throughout Maryland, including the cities of Columbia, Clarksville, Sykesville, Fulton, Elkridge, Frederick, Mt. Airy, Ellicott City, Laurel, Westminster, and Baltimore. Lawyer Smith also provides experienced legal representation for clients in Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Prince Georges (Prince George) County, Howard County and Montgomery County, MD.