Drunk Driving (DUI / DWI) | Domestic Violence | Traffic Offenses | Child Abuse | Drug Crimes | Assault and Battery | Murder | Theft Crimes | Violation of Probation
“I feel very fortunate indeed to have had Jonathan Scott Smith represent me …. Jonathan handled my case from start to finish. I was particularly impressed with his professionalism, candor, attention to detail and relationships within the legal community. In the courtroom Jonathan’s skill, experience, preparation and passion carried the day when the jury returned a verdict of not guilty.”
D.D. – Columbia, MD
“I was ecstatic about the result of my case. Your thoroughness and preparation was unbelievable. You brought out facts that I didn’t even remember. Without a doubt, I would recommend you to anyone. My whole family, who sat in on my trial, would recommend you to anyone. Your courtroom presence was very impressive. Not only were you exceptional, but your whole staff was exceptional. You told me to trust you and I trusted you completely.”
P.B. -Glen Burnie, MD
Facing a criminal charge
is a frightening and frustrating ordeal for anyone. An arrest, or a misdemeanor or felony conviction, carries serious consequences. This may include embarrassment, effects on family relationships, loss of a job, a criminal record, large fines, house arrest, or worse – going to jail.
At the Smith Criminal Defense Firm, we have fought for the rights of people throughout the greater Baltimore area for decades. Before going into private practice, attorney Smith served as a Maryland prosecutor, where he learned firsthand how the state prepares and presents criminal cases. We know how to anticipate the prosecution’s moves, and how to help you take the appropriate measures to protect your constitutional rights.
Highly Respected Criminal Defense Lawyer
Mr. Smith is a top rated attorney and former prosecutor with more than 30 years of extensive trial experience
. Attorney Smith has handled thousands of criminal cases in the local courts. With a solid and longstanding reputation for personal service and thorough preparation, we get many of our new cases as referrals from existing or former clients, or from other attorneys. Mr. Smith fights hard for his clients. That’s why many satisfied clients
think so highly of him. Mr. Smith’s results speak for themselves
Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney | 30 Years Experience
An Overview of Our Criminal Defense Practice
We bring decades of experience to people charged with felonies or misdemeanors, handling cases in all Maryland district and circuit courts. We aggressively represent individuals charged with any type of crime, including:
- Drunk Driving (DUI / DWI) – We will handle the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) hearing, as well as the criminal proceeding to determine guilt or innocence and penalties. We will review the traffic stop to verify that police had probable cause, and make certain that field sobriety and blood alcohol tests were administered correctly.
Read More about
- Domestic Violence – We represent defendants in criminal and civil proceedings arising out of allegations of domestic assault or abuse, including proceedings related to requests for protective or peace orders.
- Traffic Violations – Attorney Smith defends people charged with speeding, reckless driving, driving while a license is suspended or revoked, operating a vehicle without a valid license, and failing to obey traffic laws.
- Child Sexual and Physical Abuse – We protect the rights of people charged with crimes involving children or juveniles, including child sexual abuse or molestation, and physical child abuse.
Former Criminal Prosecutor
We also handle prosecutions involving drug crimes, theft offenses, violent crimes (assault and battery or murder) and adult sexual offenses. We work closely with minors and their parents to resolve juvenile court issues, including charges for drunk driving, alcohol, drugs, destruction of property, assault, theft, etc.
We will help you protect your rights if you have been charged with a probation violation. We can also work with you to expunge a prior criminal record.
Mr. Smith’s extensive trial experience — and track record of successful results
— has earned him the recognition of his peers and clients:
- Maryland Super Lawyer.
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland by Super Lawyers (2014)
- “10.0 Superb” as a litigation attorney by AVVO.
- “Client’s Choice Award” by AVVO, based on average client reviews of 5 stars – the highest client review possible.
- Client Distinction Award (Client Review Rating of 4.5 or higher on 5.0 scale – less than 4% of 900,000+ attorneys listed by Martindale-Hubbell)
- Top Attorneys in Maryland (American Registry)(2013)
- Top Rated Lawyer by The American Lawyer Magazine and Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers (by invitation only and limited to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state).
- “AV-Preeminent™*” Highest Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (25 consecutive years).
These are the highest ratings possible for legal skill, ethical practice, a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
Contact Our Office
To schedule an appointment with an experienced criminal defense lawyer, contact us online
or call us at 410-740-0101
. Put the skill and experience of a former prosecutor to fight for you. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
*AV® Preeminent™, BV® Distinguished™, and Rated are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Attorney Jonathan Scott Smith
represents clients in criminal matters including DUI / DWI
, MVA Hearings, traffic offenses
, domestic violence
and child abuse
charges throughout Maryland, including the cities of Columbia, Clarksville, Sykesville, Fulton, Elkridge, Frederick, Mt. Airy, Ellicott City, Laurel, Westminster, and Baltimore. Lawyer Smith also provides experienced legal representation for clients in Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Prince Georges (Prince George) County, Howard County and Montgomery County, MD.