“I cannot express the appreciation I have for how you have handled my case and the work you have done for me. . . . Your professionalism and customer service is excellent and in this day and age it is hard to find people that conduct business as well as you have. . . . You presented yourself as a man of integrity and you could walk the walk and talk the talk. . . . I’ve boasted to everyone how I have the best lawyer and the ruling in my case definitely reflects that.”
C.A. – Bel Air, MD
46-year-old corporate manager charged with Second Degree Assault arising out of domestic incident. Verdict of not guilty and all records expunged.
Protective Orders | Peace Orders | No Contact Orders | Criminal and Civil Proceedings
If you have been arrested for, or accused of, domestic violence or assault, it is imperative that you hire an experienced attorney as soon as possible. A lot can be at stake, and the legal process can move swiftly. Before you know it, you can be subject to a no-contact order, which may prevent you from living in your home or seeing your minor children. You could also face assault charges and may lose your right to own or possess firearms. You want a lawyer who knows and understands the law, as well as your options, and who has protected the rights of others in similar circumstances.
Mr. Smith is a top rated attorney and former prosecutor with more than 35 years of experience handling criminal law matters. Attorney Smith is a former prosecutor who understands how the state prepares criminal cases. We know how to anticipate and effectively respond to the strategies and tactics prosecutors will use to get a guilty plea or conviction.
Attorney Smith is an experienced trial lawyer who has represented thousands of clients in court. As a testament to our skill and experience, many of our new cases come to us as referrals from former clients or from other attorneys. He fights hard for his clients. That’s why many satisfied clients think so highly of him. Mr. Smith’s results speak for themselves.
Mr. Smith’s extensive trial experience — and track record of successful results — has earned him the recognition of his peers and clients:
- Maryland Super Lawyer (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013)
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland by Super Lawyers (2014)
- “10.0 Superb” as a litigation attorney by AVVO.
- “Client’s Choice Award” by AVVO, based on average client reviews of 5 stars – the highest client review possible.
- Client Distinction Award (Client Review Rating of 4.5 or higher on 5.0 scale – less than 4% of 900,000+ attorneys listed by Martindale-Hubbell).
- Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers of 2015 by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2015).
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers (by invitation only and limited to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state).
- Washington DC and Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers (Legal Leaders Magazine)(2014).
- Top Attorneys in Maryland (American Registry)(2013).
- Top Rated Lawyer by The American Lawyer Magazine and Martindale-Hubbell (2013, 2012).
- “AV-Preeminent™*” Highest Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (28 consecutive years).
These include the highest ratings possible for legal skill, ethical practice, a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
Domestic Violence and Abuse in Columbia MD
We aggressively protect the rights of people who have been charged with or accused of domestic violence. We know from experience that these allegations can often be unfounded, and may be based only on the word of the alleged victim. We will conduct a thorough investigation of the facts and circumstances in your case, working with you to gather all evidence relevant to your defense. We will question any witnesses and will relentlessly pursue information that might indicate that your accuser has an ulterior motive, such as:
- Advantage in a divorce proceeding, including custody or visitation dispute
- Revenge or punishment for some disagreement
We will prepare and file all necessary documentation throughout the process, and be your advocate in all proceedings, from the criminal hearing to determine penalties to the civil proceeding regarding the implementation of a restraining or protective order.
Contact Our Office
For an appointment, contact us by e-mail or call us at 410-740-0101. Let us use our considerable experience to help protect your constitutional rights. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
Attorney Jonathan Scott Smith represents clients in criminal defense matters, DUI / DWI, MVA Hearings, traffic offenses, domestic violence and child abuse charges throughout Maryland, including the cities of Columbia, Clarksville, Sykesville, Fulton, Elkridge, Frederick, Mt. Airy, Ellicott City, Laurel, Westminster, and Baltimore. Lawyer Smith also provides experienced legal representation for clients in Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Prince Georges (Prince George) County, Howard County and Montgomery County, MD.